Friday, November 18, 2005

Paris/Bally's $1500 6-man


I accumulated a very large stack after doubling through Alex Prendes' 99 with JJ after smoothcalling his raise in the big blind and checkraising all in on a rag flop. I also won several other pots including a flush against a straight.

I couldn't seem to hold on to the chips though. I doubled through Mark Seif and his big stack with 77 against A5 on a button raise he predictably reraised. I lost a big race with A4 against 33, then won a race with 99 against AJs, but then Glyn Beebe took me out with JJ against those same two nines.

The tournament room is crawling with good players right now. Player of the Year contenders like John Phan (left) and Max Pescatori, and a lot of regulars on the circuit like Prendes, Beebe, and Don Mullis. Mullis stuck it all in against me with 32s after I raised his SB limp with KJ in the BB, and I folded.

During one of the breaks I was talking to a young player named Chino and his mentor, Phan. I told them I had bet some friends I would be top 20 in the Player of the Year rankings in 2006. I feel like I am starting to get to the point where I can compete in these tournaments, but I'm not there yet. At an average table I'm better than most players, but usually not the best player at the table. I'm improving in a hurry though, and in 2006 Mr. Phan had better watch out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home