Thursday, October 20, 2005

FPC Championship Event

We arrived about ten minutes late to the 1k Championship at Canterbury today because of road work leading to horrific traffic on 169.

I wish we had been fifteen minutes late.

WHOTW (Worst Hand of the Week) Volume II:

The fourth hand after I sat down a player I had already identified as a loose cannon limped under the gun for 15. I raised to 75 in mid-late position with TT and he quickly called. The flop came T84 rainbow. He checked and I checked behind him because I didn't want to lose him (I thought he had a KQ type hand). The turn was a seven and he once again checked. I bet 150 and just a second or two later he launched his entire stack into the pot! I stood up, looked at him, looked at the board, and called after about fifteen seconds. He turned over two queens. Considering that
a) he was only going to get called by a better hand
b) he had no idea where he was at
c) he was risking 1800 chips and his entire tournament to win 300 chips
d) this was the very first level of the tournament and
e) he was messing with the FPC Best All-Around Player Points Leader
f) he ended up getting called and had less than a 5% chance of winning the pot
this was the obvious choice for WHOTW. A sickening queen hit the river and I was crippled, down to 150 from the 2000 starting chips (luckily this dumbass had already siphoned 150 chips so I did not go broke).

A bit later I doubled up with ATs against AKs. I then folded about 30 hands in a row. Then with only 200 chips and the 50 BB headed my way I doubled up with KQ against 88. Then I got moved to a different table and more than doubled up with 66 against AQs. Then a thief tried to steal my big blind where I had pocket kings and reraised him all-in. He called for pot odds with 74o and I doubled up again. Then I won a small pot after I limped in. Then I won the blinds twice with a preflop raise. Then I made the play of the day:

25-50 blinds. A loose player I had already nicknamed "The Siphoner" in my mind limped in early position. A tough player limped behind him and so did the SB. I had 5c2c aka "The Aviar" in the big blind and I checked. The flop came Qc7c2 and everyone checked. The turn was an offsuit jack and the SB checked. I checked and The Siphoner bet 300 of his remaining 1050. The tough guy thought forever and folded what he later said was the Ac4c. The SB folded and I immediately pushed in. The Siphoner thought for a minute before showing a jack and folding.

Two hands later the Siphoner pushed in under the gun with ATo and a miniscule stack called all-in with AQo. I called with AKs on the button and busted em both, and I was up to 3400!

I took a walk and called the Wolf excited as hell about coming all the way back from just about the most desperate situation imaginable. I really thought I was going to keep building all the way to the final table and win the Championship but in the 100-200 levels my cards got very cold and I didn't win another pot. The last hand was tragic:

I moved in for about 1000 with J9 offsuit in midearly position. Everyone folded to a kid in late position who stuck in 800 chips without looking at me. I immediately knew that he was trying to steal the blinds and had not seen me go all-in before him. I also knew his chips were going to be required to stay in the pot and I was about to get called. Everyone else folded and it was ruled that he had to leave 800 in the pot (he wanted to fold) so he obviously called the other 200 with his KTs and busted me with about 130 out of 340 remaining when it came KTxJx.

I don't regret any hand I played today; it just wasn't meant to be this time. When I left the Card Club there were still three players left who can pass me in the All-Around points race with a final table finish tomorrow. Three Putts, Tam Le, and Mike Carlson were all out before me.

Kwickfish did not bring his A game today and met a quick demise. At night we briefly played on one $2k table on PP. We made one very spectacular play:

Dealt to GnightMoon [ 2c, 2s ]
Crittercage raises (50) to 50
Deductions folds.
GnightMoon calls (50)
ThanhKhiet folds.
prizman folds.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Tc, Ts, 5h ]
Crittercage bets (100)
GnightMoon calls (100)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Ks ]
Crittercage bets (100)
GnightMoon raises (252) to 252
Crittercage calls (152)
** Dealing River ** : [ 5s ]
Crittercage bets (500)
GnightMoon raises (1733) to 1733
GnightMoon is all-In.
Crittercage folds.

Unfortunately Crittercage got us back after as we made a couple weak calls when he had us beat and we ended the session down $500. I then got my ass kicked in foosball.

Tomorrow Kwick goes home, I find out if I accomplished my pre-tournament goal, and CHEEBA holds the Chili Cookoff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home