Friday, December 09, 2005

Stupid


I'm absolutely sickened by many things that have happened this week. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me, and makes me feel so disgusted.

Late Monday night Ryan Young, a classmate who was once a friend of mine, trespassed onto CU property, climbed an 80 foot crane, attached his climbing rope to the top, and swung from it. He crashed into the CU power plant and was killed immediately.

A few summers ago my friend Stephen and I decided to climb Long's Peak via the old North Face cable route. I was on a typical wake up at 1 PM schedule so I said that instead of getting up early for the climb we should just stay up really late and start around 2 AM. Jacob and Ryan, who both fiended to climb like I fiend to play poker, would join us. I deliberately stayed up late the night before, slept late, took a nap in the afternoon, and ate as much as I could during the day. Ryan worked a double shift of construction that day, then ran up the mountain faster than anyone. The picture above was taken on the summit after our ascent.

He was the fastest runner I ever saw, he was a gifted climber, he was fearless and smooth with women, he was a nice guy, and now he's dead, because he did some stupid shit and got unlucky.

___

From: Clint O'Neal
To: Greg Castro
Subject: U (expletive) Spic...

Look here i dont no you but your (expletive) with the wrong person..I dont give (expletive) who you are u (expletive) river rat,,border hopper...I will come find you and drag you behind my (expletive) car you pieace of (expletive)..Or better yet I will come find you tonite and introduce you to the the (expletive) devil.. And that is me I dont give a (expletive) who u are.. But dont be suprised if you see a large mother(expletive) on your front door step...Just keep on (expletive) with me and my family u (expletive) bean eating peace of (expletive).

This email was sent from CU offensive lineman Clint O'Neal to CU cross-country runner Greg Castro. O'Neal's girlfriend and Castro's teammate, Jackie Zeigle, claims she wrote the message on O'Neal's account intending to scare Castro who she says harasses her.

When I saw this in the Daily Camera I almost threw up onto the adjacent article about Ryan Young's death. This is one of the most sickening things I've ever read. I just don't even know what to say, and I'm having a hard time writing about it. How could someone be stupid enough to write something like this? There is no rational reason why something like this should have ever been created. I feel sick that this happened, and sick that this stupidity is now attached to the CU Athletic Department.

___

Tonight on Survivor Cindy the zookeeper won the award challenge. The prize was a brand new Pontiac Torrent. Only Cindy was given a choice after she won the challenge: instead of taking her car, she could give one to each of the four other remaining survivors. She thought about it, and then chose to keep her car and leave the other four with nothing.

Instead of giving four cars to people, she chose to keep one car for herself.

I could not believe what I was seeing. It got worse. One of the other survivors said she would have chosen the same way, and actually accused Rafe (who would have given the cars away) of being self-righteous.

I just don't understand how anyone could live with themselves after making a decision like this. The way I look at things, this wasn't a selfish decision, it was a stupid decision. It's as simple as a second grade math problem. The amount of good from giving away four cars outweighs the amount of good from taking one car for yourself. Therefore you give away four cars. I just don't understand how anyone could calculate otherwise.

___

Dealt to GnightMoon [ 8d, 9c ]
captZEEbo folds.
monkey101 folds.
mortalfrog folds.
HowardRoark_ folds.
hammers2 folds.
theriver19 folds.
GnightMoon raises (60) to 60
NYJET5555 folds.
KISCO calls (40)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6s, 3s, 8h ]
KISCO checks.
GnightMoon bets (90)
KISCO raises (245) to 245
GnightMoon calls (155)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 9s ]
KISCO bets (300)
GnightMoon raises (3533.75) to 3533.75
GnightMoon is all-In.
KISCO calls (999.75)
KISCO is all-In.
** Dealing River ** : [ Js ]
Creating Main Pot with $3216.50 with KISCO
** Summary **
Main Pot: $3216.50
KISCO balance $3216.50, bet $1604.75, collected $3216.50, net +$1611.75 [ Td As ] [ a flush, ace high -- As,Js,9s,6s,3s ]

I lost 8k today online, my biggest cash game loss ever. Very little of this was because of bad play. Let me rephrase. Very little of the loss was due to my bad play. There were three critical hands, this being one of them, where it seemed like my opponents were trying to give their money to me. Each was a pot of more than 3k. Each time I was a 3:1 favorite or better. Each one was perfectly played by me and horribly played by my opponent. And at the end of each one the money was pushed in the wrong direction.

I use the words "wrong direction" but this is not the truth. In poker there is no wrong direction, and I have to accept that if I want to keep doing this. In the short run, stupidity does get rewarded. Sometimes people jump off cranes in the middle of the night and have fun (as Ryan Young did a month ago).

But poker, and life, are not about the short run. In the end, stupidity is punished. The KISCOs of the world invariably go broke. Cindy was voted off Survivor by the four people she could have given cars. And Ryan Young is dead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home